For general training writing Task 1, you will be asked to write a letter.
1. Informal Letter (If you are writing to family or friends)
2. Semi-formal Letter (If you are writing to a work colleague, neighbour or someone you know well)
3. Formal Letter (if you are writing to a business person, administration or local newspaper.)
In your letter, you might be asked to
A. Request information
B. Give personal or factual information
C. Explain a problem or solution
D. Explain wants or needs / make a request
E. Complain / appreciate about a service
F. Make a suggestion or recommend something Improve
Your Score Your answer will be assessed based on the following criteria.
1. Task achievement – Does your letter answer all the part of the questions? Are all your ideas relevant?
2. Coherence and Cohesion – Are your ideas well organised, clear and well connected?
3. Lexical Resource – Have you avoided repeating the same words and copying words from the question?
4. Grammatical range and accuracy – Have you made few grammatical mistakes and shown a range of grammatical structures?
Organise your writing
2. Opening Statements (Introduce yourself, say why you are writing)
3. Explain the point 1, 2 and 3
4. Closing statements (signal the end of the letter)
5. End the letter Opening lines
We need an opening line in a business letter or professional email: to make reference to previous correspondence; to say how we found the recipient’s name/address; to say why we are writing to the recipient.
With reference to your letter of 8 June, I … .
I am writing this letter to you regarding the…
I am writing to enquire about … .