For general training writing Task 1, you will be asked to write a letter.
- Informal Letter (If you are writing to family or friends)
- Semi-formal Letter (If you are writing to a work colleague, neighbour or someone you know well)
- Formal Letter (if you are writing to a business person, administration or local newspaper.)
In your letter, you might be asked to
- Request information
- Give personal or factual information
- Explain a problem or solution
- Explain wants or needs / make a request
- Complain / appreciate about a service
- Make a suggestion or recommend something
Improve Your Score
Your answer will be assessed based on the following criteria.
- Task achievement – Does your letter answer all the part of the questions? Are all your ideas relevant?
- Coherence and Cohesion – Are your ideas well organised, clear and well connected?
- Lexical Resource – Have you avoided repeating the same words and copying words from the question?
- Grammatical range and accuracy – Have you made few grammatical mistakes and shown a range of grammatical structures?
Organise your writing
- Opening Statements (Introduce yourself, say why you are writing)
- Explain the point 1, 2 and 3
- Closing statements (signal the end of the letter)
- End the letter
We need an opening line in a business letter
or professional email:
to make reference to previous correspondence; to say how we found the recipient’s name/address; to say why we are writing to the recipient.W
I am writing this letter to you regarding the…
I am writing to enquire about … .
To know more about Ielts writing, please contact: